While summer is right around the corner, the scorching summer sun has already made its debut and we are more than okay with it. After months of freezing, fluctuating weather, it is finally time to embrace the outdoors and all the perks that come with the warmth.
The best perk of all, is trading in your typical indoor-gym workout, for something outdoors that doubles as both a fun weekend activity AND a workout. Luckily, Charlotte has ample outdoor activities that double as fitness activities, which means all summer long, we will be able to blend our love of fun, sun and sweat.
Looking to move your workout outdoors too? Here’s where you can find us this summer:
1. The U.S. National White Water Center has everything the active outdoors lover could possibly want. Between mountain biking, rock climbing, kayaking, paddle boarding, kayaking, canoeing, white water rafting, and even free yoga classes, you can get in a killer workout while having maximum fun.
2. Speaking of paddle boarding and yoga, there is no core exercise quite like SUP Yoga. Both Carolina Yoga and OM Yoga offer this blended practice, where you can go through a yoga flow, while balancing on a paddleboard in the middle of a lake. Don’t worry if you fall in, it’s the best way to cool off!
3. Looking to try paddle boarding but not necessarily ready to bring your Vinyasa off solid ground? Aloha Paddle Sports, located in Cornelius, offers paddle board and kayak rentals for up to 3-hours. They also have SUP Yoga, if you change your mind!
4. Want to have a lake day but still clock in some movement on your Apple Watch? CycleBoats are the newest addition of lake activities, and it truly sounds like a hoot. Similar to trolley pubs, these large boats are available to be rented for 2.5 hour periods, and require you to pedal in order to travel along the lake. Grab your 14 closest friends, a cooler of low-calorie seltzers, and try it out!
5. For a good old-fashioned outdoor workout, nothing beats going for a scenic run on the light rail or the greenway. Bring a running buddy to chat with or just to run beside, and reward yourselves for cranking out a few miles with a refreshment at one of the many stops along the way.
6. Speaking of old-fashioned, you can always feed into your nostalgia and rent a bike to ride along the trails. While the contact bikes we came to know and love-hate are gone, there are still 13 different B-Cycle stations around Charlotte for you to rent from.
7. If you want to enjoy the weather, but don’t like to sweat and are more into a calm and relaxing form of movement, then you need to try out a rooftop yoga class on one of Charlotte’s many downtown high-rises. NC Yoga Bar hosts these rooftop pop-ups frequently, and Rooftop 210 hosts a sunset yoga every Monday from 6:30pm-7:30pm.
8. To all of the people who like to add a bit of competition into their workouts, head to Charlotte Racquet Club North to show off your backhand and then enjoy a glass of wine while sitting on their wrap-around porch.
Still needing more ideas or looking for other fun fitness events to do outside? Don’t forget to check out a full list of our events to stay up to date with all of the outdoor workout classes in Charlotte!